Saturday, February 28, 2009

Feb 25



Today is February 25, 2009. This is my last day in South Georgia. Then the boat will be out at sea for four days. They will be playing a lot of movies during that day. Even “Happy Feet.” They also are going to play “March of the Penguins.” I’m also planning to interview a couple of the scientists on board for my science projects. So the sea days won’t be that bad.

I slept through breakfast today. I went straight to Grytviken. That is where Shackleton’s grave is. We toasted to Shackleton and then went to the museum that was down towards the old whaling station. Next to the museum there is a gift shop. I got a poster of one of Shackleton’s crew holding up puppies. I also got a jacket and a hat. The hat has little penguins on it. I also mailed two postcards. It was funny because at the front of the museum there was a little post box to put your mail into.

After I sent all my letters I went back to the boat. We had lunch after all the other people got on board. After lunch my dad and I went up to the bridge to see what was happening. Only the captain was up there. The winds were really strong. They were about 110 knots (and 60 knots is hurricane force). The captain doubted that we were going to be able to land today.

But lucky enough, once we reached the protected shore, the wind wasn’t blowing too hard to launch the zodiacs so we got to go to shore after all. The landing point was called Stromness, which used to be a whaling station. That was where Shackleton did his last leg of his trip of crossing South Georgia, arriving at the safety of Stromness. We got to walk up a few miles to where Shackleton and his men climbed down a frozen waterfall. It was cool to see.

After the landing we went back to the boat, ate and then went to see a recap of South Georgia. After that I went to bed. I had a good day.

Bye for now,

Emily

No comments: