Thursday, March 5, 2009

Mar 1




Today is March 1, 2009. It is another sea day today, but tomorrow we’ll arrive at Tristan de Cunha. I didn’t sleep in that late today. I was awake by eight and started doing some homework. I was doing homework all the way till lunchtime. I tried to take a nap in the middle of doing my work, but my dad got mad at me. He said, “Emily you have to keep working.”
Right after lunch I interviewed the geologist about ice for one of my science projects. His name is Jason. He knows everything about geology and stuff like that. I think he should become a college teacher who teaches about geology, since he knows so much.
I asked him a little bit about how the ice got onto Antarctica. He said, “When snow falls in Antarctica it never melts. It keeps on building up and building up. In some places, the ice is 13,000 feet thick – more than 2½ miles of ice on top of the land!!! They have drilling sites on top of this ice cap where they can drill down into the ice. They do this because air gets trapped inside the ice each year as the ice accumulates over time. Using this method, scientists like Jason have collected air that is up to 500,000 years old. Soon, they hope to dig deep enough into the ice to reach air that was trapped up to one million years ago!
After that I went up to the library to play some cards with my friend, Sarah. We played until teatime. Once Sarah heard it was teatime she zoomed off to go get in line. I brought some cookies for my dad, he was reading in our cabin.
My dad and I hung out in our cabin until dinner. We watched the introduction to Tristan da Cunha on our television – if you don’t want to go to the lecture room, you can still watch them from your room. I’m looking forward to getting my feet back on dry land tomorrow (at least for a few hours).
Bye for now,
Emily

No comments: