

Today is the third day on the “Explorer.” Everything is going great. We are supposed to finish going through the Drake Passage. I am really excited because we might be able to land on an island today! I can’t wait.
When I woke up this morning I took a shower and headed down for breakfast. The breakfast was very good this morning. My dad started talking to this woman and they went on for hours, so I decided to go to the bridge. When I came back down to go to my cabin I noticed that he was still talking to the lady. I went to the cabin without him.
About an hour my dad came back to the cabin. I asked him where he had been. He said,“ I went to the meeting about Antarctica. That’s what took me so long.”
I had wanted to go to the meeting too. I missed it waiting for him. About ten min. after the meeting there was another one. Everyone had to go to this one because the expedition leader was going to tell the rules about Antarctica. I went to that one. It was really boring because I knew everything already.
By lunch time I could see the land. I got real excited because we were going to land in a couple of hours. At 2:00 it was time to go to the shore. I got my entire equipment ready and headed out. I got in the first zodiac. Once I reached the shore I got out and looked around. I could only see gentoo penguins. But as I headed up the little slop I saw chinstrap penguins. My dad and I sat down at the top of the slop. A few penguins came really close to us. It was neat to be that close to a penguin. A little latter I was getting cold, so we decided to head down the hill for a little bit more protection from the wind. We sat down the slope a little more. Now the wind wasn’t blowing as hard. A few more penguins came close to us. They bit at my boot a little, but that’s it.
While we were sitting down one of the staff members came over to us. He was holding a dead penguin's wings. I touched it and it felt a little bristle. Nothing like I would imagine. It was a little soft though. While I was sitting down a penguin pooped on me! It was very gross.
My dad decided to sit near the ocean. While we were sitting there a penguin jumped up and sat in my lap! He was really cute. Penguins behind, in front, and next to me were all pecking at me. They all thought I had food and were trying to get it from me. It got annoying after a while. We went back to the boat after that. I took a shower and relaxed for a little bit.
I hung out in my cabin tell dinner. My dad was feeling sick and didn’t go to dinner, so I had to go by myself. We also missed the recap in the lounge. When I sat down for dinner a staff member named Stephanie sat down too. We talked and she said that I might be able to drive a zodiac and the ship! I got excited when she said that. I couldn’t believe it.
As I headed back to the cabin I brought some food to my dad. He was very grateful. I watched a movie then headed to bed. I had an adventures day. I can’t wait for tomorrow.
6 comments:
Very nice emily!!!
-Graham
Coolio! That's Pretty Awesome!
-Emily Dewey
Yo! What up?
is it cold or have you seen any whales
heyyyyyy emily im glad your having fun. dont freeze to death:] ! have fun!
~alex~
have you seen any of those scary seals yet?
Post a Comment